Each year, the Alaska Marine Science Symposium opens with a workshop focused on communicating marine science. The event draws researchers, educators, and others to learn and share tools, tips, and success stories. The 2013 workshop marks the 7th anniversary of this event.
Date: Monday, January 21, 2013, 8:00am-12:00pm
Location: Fore Deck, Discovery Ballroom, Hotel Captain Cook, Anchorage AK
Shipboard outreach and use of web-based communication
Communicating about ocean acidification, climate change and use of video
Artists in research settings and the use of writing
Scientist-community connections and the use of radio
- 8:00-8:15 Introductions
- 8:15-9:15 Keynotes (4 presentations, 15 minutes each)
- 9:15-10:15 Breakout Sessions led by keynote presenters
- 10:15-10:30 Break
- 10:30-11:45 Report out and open mic: 3 minutes per person
- 12:15-1:15 No-host lunch for Northwest Aquatic and Marine Education
members and anyone else interested in marine or aquatic education (Snow Goose Restaurant)
Following the keynote presentations, the keynote speakers will lead facilitated breakout groups for further discussion on their strategies and methods of communication. The breakout groups report out to the entire group and then an “Open Mic” period will provide an opportunity for audience members to share their current ocean science communication projects and programs (3 minute maximum/speaker).
Highlights of the 2013 Workshop
- Tip Sheets: Workshop organizers and keynote speakers will provide “tip sheets” for the outreach and education tool they present and discuss in the breakout groups, including useful links and contacts.
- Success Stories: Every year workshop participants have great examples that would benefit other participants. Please use the format below to submit your Success Story and bring 75-100 copies to the workshop. We also encourage you to bring 75-100 copies of brochures and other publications.
- Open Mic: We are providing an Open Microphone for brief presentations (3 minutes maximum) on one of your current ocean communication efforts or programs.
- Contacts Share: Each year, our workshop is filled with amazing scientists and communicators. We will provide a list to each participant so that you can network with others following the workshop.
- Last but not Least . . . Prizes! Everyone who attends the workshop is eligible for door prizes provided by our keynote speakers. If you share your Success Story or speak during the Open Mic period, you will get a second or third chance in the drawing for the door prizes. Everyone who completes an on-line evaluation following the workshop will also have a chance at prizes!
Register for the Workshop
Register here by 12pm on Thursday Jan 17th, 2013. Registration is free.
Submit your Success Story!
Please submit one example of a successful marine outreach and education activity or experience using the 1-page template below to Marilyn Sigman firstname.lastname@example.org. so they can be made available online following the workshop. Also, please bring 75-100 copies to share with workshop participants. Download TEMPLATE
- North Pacific Research Board (NPRB): Nora Deans
- Alaska Center for Ocean Sciences Education Excellence (COSEE Alaska): Robin Dublin, Marilyn Sigman
- Alaska Ocean Observing System (AOOS): Molly McCammon, Darcy Dugan